Monday, January 7, 2008

Crutcher's Contemporary American Thought class gets pretty deep...

Ms. Lemry’s Contemporary American Thought class covers some pretty touchy subjects throughout the novel Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes. The class is offered in the high school mentioned in the book, primarily for seniors such as Eric Calhoune and Mark Brittain. The course is designed to put the views and opinions of the student to the test by making them defend what they believe through projects and open debates. The class kicks off with a project about psychological or spiritual problems of the world and it receives some interesting topics and responses. One selected topic is about how the world looks good from a distance because you cannot see hunger and poverty, but when you come to earth you see that the world is not as good as it looks from a distance. The class really heats up when the focus of the curriculum shifts to the issue of the ethics of abortion. The students split into the leftist pro-life side and the rightist pro-choice side and then there are the “fence-riders” who have no particular opinion on the subject whatsoever but just enjoy antagonizing the groups that actually have an opinion. Characters of conflicting religions such as Mark Brittain and Steve Ellerby create a large amount of enmity on the abortion debate. As if that wasn’t enough, the middle sitters antagonize one character to the point that he seriously considers dropping the class, but he sits through the class when told his reason for dropping was not legitimate. The Contemporary American Thought sparks a large amount of hostility within the faculty, particularly between Ms. Lemry and Vice Principal Mautz, a very leftist, black-and-white kind of guy. He backs Mark Brittain’s religious views and moral character 100% and thinks the world of Mr. Brittain. He demands that the class be promptly terminated because some values and morals are being smashed because of the class, particularly the views that he shares. Lemry constantly reminds the Vice Principal that he is in charge of discipline and has no say in the matters of curriculum or the classes offered at the high school. The hot-tempered Mautz doesn’t take too kindly to his limitations, but he knows that Lemry is correct and that he can do absolutely nothing to terminate the course. His defeat certainly does not hinder him from loudly voicing his opinion and antagonizing other views, however. Mautz frequently sits in on the class to hear them discuss issues and topics, and he typically sits with arms folded and a frown on his face. He witnesses them discuss questions like “Do you think the world is a good place?” or “How do you feel about Sarah Byrnes and the situation she’s in right now?” Some students consistently give incredibly insightful and well-thought answers, and then there are those that give witty quirps for some comic relief, but their wit is well-thought also. Some students give speeches and use famous literature to back up their beliefs, while some even use songs and other media to convey their point to the class. Throughout the book, I anxiously awaited another installment Lemry’s class because I loved hearing the viewpoints and ideas that Crutcher covered in the course. Overall, I enjoyed the scenes involving Lemry’s Contemporary American Literature class and Crutcher did a fantastic job when dealing with such touchy subjects. The class scenes were usually juxtaposed to some heavy scenes, so the class helped to change the atmosphere of the novel from time to time. The mix of insight and humor stemming from the class was a great way to keep the reader engaged and lighten the mood at the same time.

5 comments:

Kelsie said...

Hello Andrew.
This is Kelsie Gripentrog. If you remember me...

Anyway, I was skimming Anna's blog and came across 'LongArmOfTheLaw', and factoring in your penchant for all things legal, I figured it was you.
Intrigued, I read all your blogs. This was the one that caught my attention... not only because it was so small that I had to open another window and amp up the size, but because of its contents.

At first, when you mentioned abortion and pro-life and pro-choice, and I immediately went into ‘Abortion bad, bad people’ mantra, and then I thought about it, and it’s really only up to the people who conceived the kid to decide. Anyway, the reason for this random and completely unnecessary comment is because I was wondering your thoughts on it.

You seem like an incredibly insightful person, and a wonderful writer, which is way I’m wondering your thoughts on this topic. Or any for that matter…


…now that I think about it… I don’t think you’ll ever read this seeing that we don’t have to look at these blogs anymore.
Well, goodnight and pleasant dreams.
-Kelsie

LongArmOfTheLaw said...

Well, kesie...

Let me first congratulate you for deducing that I am in fact the author of this blog...

Secondly, I obviously DID see your post (if you haven't figured that out by now, then we have some serious logic problems on our hands...=])

As far as the topic of abortion goes, I didn't have much of an opinion on the matter before reading the book, and have yet to formulate one afterwards. I tried to keep an open mind and weigh both options while reading and I tried not to be bias in my writing. However, I do believe that a human is a human from day one, not from when it enters the world. I do lean to the left, but I am not one to condemn those with other viewpoints than my own. To be honest, its a not as big of deal for me as it is for others because, to put it plainly, I don't plan on becoming pregnant (my wouldn't THAT be something...). All abortion is not black and white, however. There's always the issue of selective abortion. Is it right to terminate a life if the child will be mentally or physically handicapped? Is it wrong to make a child go through something like that if the parents know ahead of time about the baby's future conditions? Just something to think about.

Andrew

Kelsie said...

And how could you know if the kid would be mentallly or physically handicapped?
I get what you mean, though, about keeping an open mind. And that's generally my view point, on all such topics.

BUT! I have to ask something completely non-related to this topic.
Why do you want to become a politician?
I mean, it's not exactly high on the list of professions an average teenager would choose...


Let me know if you do ever conceive a kid, will you?
That would be a sight. ;]

LongArmOfTheLaw said...

Yes I will alert you if, for some strange reason, I give birth. :)

I'm not sure why I want to get involved in the realm of politics. I'm interested in all of the facets of the '08 campaigns, and I am interested by the ambiguous and dangerous realm of politics. I cannot begin to count the number of people who tell me that I should run for president (don't ask me why). Don't even get me started on my opinions of the presidential candidates for the upcoming election. Anyway, I love debating and presenting my case (I argue for the satisfaction that I can sway an audience, not for the incessant need to be right. I concede to my opposition when I lose faith in my case) so I figure that I would do well in the realm of lobbying and political persuasion. So there you go. My occupational ambitions in a nutshell.

Kelsie said...

And here I am, again, a month and some odd days later. You silly boy. Now, that I've gotten to know you a good deal more... I have to disagree.

You do argue for the simple and plain fact that you always need to be right. At least with me you do. Or you just argue because you are incredibly controversal. And very opinionated. :D


See ya.